Thursday, July 27, 2006

RIP Nvidia GeForce 6800GT

Yesterday was my saddest day for this year, My only powerful graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT totaly toasted and unusable. It happened early Wednesday morning when i came down to check my pc which turned on since last yesterday night 7.30pm till 5.30am the next day. I was surprise when i see the screen color consist of vertical colorfull and corrupted lines appear on my screen. I restart my pc thinking it was a system driver fault...few seconds later no boot interface shown only the corrupt screen was displayed. So i took back to the office to double check and troubleshoot all over again. Yanked out any unnecessary hardware from my computer and run some test to narrow down the problematic possibility. I also pull out the graphic card and tested on my sister computer and my backup pc motherboard. The results, all the problem pointed to my graphic card....in was shocked to discovered my source of million dollar work have been broken and my ambition as 3d modeler have been shattered. I've tried lots of ways to revive the cards but none worked. ......omg! i have to spend more for another expensive graphic card.

So last night i took out my old backup motherboard: ASROCK M266A with S3 Savage 3D graphics on shared memory, P4 2400 cpu and lots of built-in cheap stuff intergrated and use it as my everyday PC usage until i get a new graphic card for my main computer. It may take several months because the pay cheque haven't arrive to my account yet. 3d modelling work can be really slow on this system spec without a good 3D accelerated hardware. So meanwhile i make my self useful on the net downloading texture resources, do some programing or get out from my home and spent outside riding my bike.

NVIDIA graphic cards always have problem with such fragile feature which its performance lasts for short duration compared to ATI chipset. As if Nvidia overclocked its GPU clock speed...proof can be seen on any Nvidia based chip topped with huge blocked of metal/alloy heatsink to force dump the heat faster. ATI however have light and small heatsink because it generate less heat and less prone to GPU being cooked under heavy thermal exposure due to excessive processing. NVIDIA now started to act like overfried AMD cpu unit. They should better do more on product durability. Good thing it happen after i finished all my projects.

No comments: